How to Request Books and Codex Manuscripts
Please note: We are currently unable to retrieve materials on Saturdays from our University of Chicago Press Imprint and Linckesche Leihbibliothek Collections and oversized materials from any collection where the call number is preceded by the letters "ff". We apologize for any inconvenience.
Use these directions to request books and codex manuscripts using the SCRC Online Circulation System, after you have created a circulation request account.
- Please log on to the library computer using either your CNET ID (University of Chicago users only) or your day pass (paper pass issued to visitors) login and password.
- Open a web browser and go to the Special Collections home page.
- Click the link “SCRC Circulation Request System.” You will be presented with two options: one for University of Chicago users and one for non-University of Chicago users. Choose the appropriate side and log in.
Online Requests: Books and Codex Manuscripts
1. From your account page, select Lens or Library Catalog from the Online Request section.
2. Locate the title you want in the catalog or Lens, click on the title to open the record. Look at Circulation Status. On the far right side you should see a link that says “Request from SCRC.” Click on this link.
3. You will then see a screen that asks you to login. If you are already logged in you will not need to do so again, simply click the login button for your affiliation (UofC or Non).
4. You will be taken to your account page, showing the book request with all information automatically completed. (Remember: create a request for each volume you want to view.)
5. When you make the request, please provide the date you will use the item; if you are making the request once you are in Special Collections you do not need to choose a date.
6. Select the Submit button at the bottom of the screen to complete the request.
7. Once you have submitted a request you will see a message across the top of the screen that tells you the transaction number for that request and that it will be available within 30 minutes, unless you have specified a later use date. You will also see all other items you have requested.
Questions about making a request? Contact us!