Reading Room Access
This page has been updated for Summer Quarter 2021.
The Hanna Holborn Gray Special Collection Research Center reading room is open by appointment only to current University of Chicago faculty, students, and staff. Research appointments are 2.5 hour blocks. Requests for materials must be submitted at least one business day before appointments.
Summer Quarter 2021 Appointments:
Appointments will open up two weeks in advance on a rolling basis throughout the quarter. Beginning the first week of Fall Quarter, September 27, 2021, appointments will be available in morning and afternoon blocks. Researchers can book one appointment per day.
How to Make an Appointment
- Reserve a seat in the Special Collections reading room with the SCRC Reservation System.
- Once your reading room appointment has been confirmed by Special Collections staff via email, request your materials using your SCRC Account and the links in the Library catalog or the Finding Aids Database
You can request up to 10 books or standard archival boxes or 6 archival storage containers (from unprocessed collections)
If Reservations are full you can add your name to the Reading Room Seats Waitlist. A Special Collections staff member will contact you if a seat opens up.
Please Note the Following:
- Do not come to Special Collections if you have not had a confirmation email from SCRC staff.
- If you have not requested your materials one business day before your visit, your appointment will be cancelled.
- If you are not feeling well, please respect everyone’s safety and email the SCRC staff to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
Hours of Operation
- Mondays 12pm - 3pm
- Tuesdays 12pm - 3pm
- Wednesdays 12pm - 3pm
- Thursdays 12pm - 3pm
- Fridays 9:30am - 12:30pm
Beginning Fall Quarter, September 27, 2021:
Monday through Friday
- 9:30am - 12noon
- 2pm - 4:30pm
What to Expect During Your Visit
Watch the video to learn about the safety protocols in place in the Special Collections Research Center's public spaces during the COVID-19 pandemic.