Reading Room Access
This page has been updated for Winter Quarter 2021.
The Hanna Holborn Gray Special Collection Research Center reading room is open by appointment only to current University of Chicago faculty, students, and staff. Research appointments are two hour blocks. Materials will be paged and quarantined before each researcher visit.
How to Make an Appointment
- Reserve a seat in the Special Collections reading room with the SCRC Reservation System.
- Once your reading room appointment has been confirmed by Special Collections staff via email, request your materials using your SCRC Account and the links in the Library catalog or the Finding Aids Database
You can request up to 15 books or standard archival boxes or 6 archival storage containers (from unprocessed collections)
Please Note the Following:
- Do not come to the library if you have not had a confirmation email from SCRC staff.
- Your UChicago Card will not work on the Library's main gate until 5 minutes before your appointment.
- If you have not requested your materials by noon on the Monday before your visit, your appointment will be cancelled.
- If you are not feeling well, please respect everyone’s safety and email the SCRC staff to cancel or reschedule your appointment.
Hours of Operation
- Thursdays 12pm - 2pm
- Fridays 10am - 12pm
- Thursdays 12pm- 3pm
- Fridays 9:30am - 12:30pm
What to Expect During Your Visit
Watch the video to learn about the safety protocols in place in the Special Collections Research Center's public spaces during the COVID-19 pandemic.