About the Web SiteThe photographs are organized in the categories listed below. Pages contain small versions of the photographs, each with a description. Larger versions of the photographs can be opened by clicking on the small ones. The photos may look best when the larger image is downloaded and viewed in an image viewing or graphics program. To download an image for viewing in another application, right click (Windows) or click and hold (Macintosh) on the image, and select "Save Image As". Please remember that these images are copyrighted and are not to be published or used in any form without the permission of the owner.
Note: Although the sizes of the original photographs vary widely, the images have been sized to fit most monitors. The small images are GIF files and are 150 pixels in the largest dimension. The larger images are JPEG files and measure approximately 500 pixels in the largest dimension. All are at 72dpi.
The number of photographs in each category is indicated in parentheses. A second number--if any--indicates the number of photochrome (color) images within the category.
With each photograph is a description which provides the following information:
- date of production
- identifying inscriptions found on the negative or positive and/or a brief description of the image
- photographic process
- size (inches)
- acquisition number (the year of acquisition follows the hyphen)
- Various locations in Cairo (27)(3)
- Gazira Palace (4)
Shepheard's Hotel (4)
- Streets in Cairo (21)(2)
- Islamic Monuments in Cairo:
- Alexandria (10)
- Locations in Upper Egypt:
- Locations in Lower Egypt:
- Other Images from Egypt (30)
- Pharaonic Monuments in Lower Egypt
- Pharaonic Monuments in Upper Egypt (2)
- Agra, India (12)
- Tehran, Iran (2)
- Lebanon (10)
- Morocco and Tunisia
- Damascus, Syria (16)
All Images © 1996, 2001 Middle East Department. Joseph Regenstein Library. The University of Chicago.