Summer 2021 PhD Candidates:
- Check your email regularly in case your graduate program administrator or Dissertation Office staff need additional material from you before the end of Summer Quarter.
- Departmental approval is due by Wednesday, August 4.
- Dissertation Office staff will audit the material on the ETD Administrator during the next few weeks.
Autumn 2021 PhD Candidates:
- Consider copyright issues, and request any permissions you need before Autumn Quarter begins. If your dissertation uses previously copyrighted material beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright holder to include the material before you submit your dissertation.
- Schedule your defense. The defense (and any revisions recommended by your dissertation committee) must occur before you submit your dissertation.
- Review the University-Wide Requirements for the Ph.D. Dissertation, which includes formatting requirements.
Ask the Dissertation Office if you have questions or would like assistance.
The Dissertation Office provides information on the University's dissertation policies. We help students understand dissertation formatting and publication requirements, and we assist with the submission process. We support graduate program administrators as they manage dissertation submissions and departmental approval, and we audit completed dissertation submissions to ensure they meet University requirements. We coordinate dissertation publishing and embargoes with ProQuest and with Knowledge@UChicago. Our office is Room 100B on the first floor of Regenstein Library, but for the time being we are working remotely, and our services will continue online.