The final version of your dissertation is due no later than 4:30 p.m. Friday, 4 weeks before convocation. Earlier submissions are welcome! If you experience technical difficulties with your final submission, please contact the Dissertation Office or ETD Tech Support as soon as possible.
- If your dissertation includes any previously copyrighted material beyond fair use, you should already have obtained written permission from the copyright holder to use the material. Be sure to retain copies of all permission letters. See additional information regarding copyright issues.
- You should already have created your account on the ETD site, using the name you provide on the title page of your dissertation, which should be the same name that appears on official University documents in the Office of the University Registrar. If you have an account, revise your existing submission to complete the Submission steps or to make any changes. If you do not have an account, please complete all of the steps below to create one.
- Click Submit my dissertation/thesis in the Ready to begin? box.
- Enter and submit basic information requested (name, email address).
- Verify your account according to the instructions in the verification email sent to that email address.
- Complete the Publishing information section, selecting your Publishing options and entering your Contact information. (Maintain a current address on record with ProQuest in order to receive royalties and information from them.) See additional information regarding your publication decisions.
- We recommend you choose Traditional Publishing instead of Open Access Publishing PLUS.
- We recommend you indicate that you do not want major search engines (e.g. Google, Yahoo) to discover your work through ProQuest.
- If you need to delay access to your dissertation, please contact us regarding an embargo.
- Complete the About my dissertation/thesis section, providing an abstract and all of the other Dissertation/Thesis details. Use headline style to enter your title. This is helpful because headline style is used in the convocation program. Upload your work as a PDF.
- Check everything you have entered (contacts, comments, etc.) and be sure you have selected the correct information from drop box options. It is all too easy to choose the incorrect department or to change the title on your title page and forget to change it in the section about your dissertation.
- Review the University-Wide Requirements for the Ph.D. Dissertation and proofread your PDF to be sure this is indeed your final version. Check page numbers for accuracy in your Table of Contents, List of Figures, List of Tables, etc.
- Complete the Submission & payment section and submit the final version of your dissertation.
- At this point you will no longer make any changes to your material unless requested to do so by Dissertation Office staff or by your graduate program administrator. Dissertation Office staff will ask your graduate program administrator to confirm that the chair of your department or dean of your school finds that your dissertation and accompanying material is in its final form, meets the University-wide requirements for the dissertation, and has been accepted as satisfying the degree requirements of your department or school. Then we will process your dissertation.
- Please submit the Survey of Earned Doctorates shortly before or after you submit your dissertation.
- Check the email address you provided as contact information on the ETD site on a daily basis. Dissertation Office staff will audit the material on the ETD Administrator to ensure that your submission meets the specifications in the University-Wide Requirements for the Ph.D. Dissertation. We will let you know if we need additional material from you, and we will let you know when your submission is complete and in order.