University Administration asks doctoral candidates to complete two surveys--the Survey of Earned Doctorates and the University of Chicago Doctoral Survey.
The Survey of Earned Doctorates (SED) is a federal survey, conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago for the National Science Foundation and other federal agencies, The SED gathers data serving policymakers at the federal, state and local levels. Survey information is reported only in aggregate form or in a manner that does not identify information about any individual. Additional information about the SED, including data and findings, pdfs of the questionnaires, and other material, is available on the Survey of Earned Doctorates web site.
Please follow these steps to complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates and the University of Chicago Doctoral Survey online.
- Register for the Survey of Earned Doctorates
- The URL, PIN and password information will be e-mailed to you shortly after you register. If you do not receive the message soon, check your junk mail in case your e-mail filter has treated the message as spam.
- Complete the SED questionnaire. Be sure to press Submit in order to move through the last three screens (Email confirmation, Certificate of Completion, and Thank you). This serves to notify staff that you have completed the SED.
- You may upload the Certificate of Completion to the Administrative Documents section of the ETD Administrator if you wish.
- The Thank you screen should redirect you to a second questionnaire, the University of Chicago Doctoral Survey. If your browser blocks you at this point, you may access the University of Chicago Doctoral Survey directly.