Hyde Park-Kenwood-Woodlawn Neighborhood
This collection contains the planning and promotional materials for the 57th Street Art Fair, including meeting minutes, reports, posters, textiles, banners and buttons.
Jean Friedberg Block was a University of Chicago expert and a renowned scholar of the architecture and peopling of Hyde Park and the University. Block’s papers include general information about the University from the early-to-mid 20th century. Series I contains general correspondence and other information about the University’s development. Series II contains material pertinent to “The Uses of Gothic,” a 1985 exhibit in the Special Collections Resource Center, which was largely authored and coordinated by Ms. Block.
The Edgar A. Buzzell Collection consists of glass plate negatives, two photograph albums, newspaper articles, and a painting. The bulk of the collection consists of glass plate negatives of the University of Chicago, Hyde Park, the World’s Columbian Exposition (1893), and downtown Chicago, IL. A smaller portion of the collection is an assortment of collegiate and family photographs.
The Cleaner Air Committee of Hyde Park-Kenwood, organized in April 1959 by a group of women led by Laura Fermi, sought to educate the community to the dangers posed by air pollution as well as to monitor local smoke emission violations. Contains membership lists, minutes, correspondence, clippings, statements made at public hearings, and publications.
The records of the Friends in Council include meeting minutes, constitutions and by-laws, annual programs for the club dating back to its inception, as well as various works produced by and about its members (papers prepared for meetings, histories of the club, and correspondence). The collection also contains some information relating to other Friends in Council groups, as well as national women’s organizations.
Rachel Marshall Goetz was a writer, researcher, and activist who spent much of her career focused on national and local Hyde Park politics. These papers include much of Goetz’s early writing advocating the use of new media in state and local governments. She worked as a speechwriter on Illinois governor Adlai Stevenson’s 1956 presidential campaign, and many of her drafts, memos, position papers, and letters are included here. Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, Goetz was an important figure in Hyde Park-Kenwood’s urban renewal, and her papers hold many drafts, clippings, and notes relating to that project. Late in her life, Goetz and her sister, Barbara Frye, dedicated themselves to making elaborately decorated ornamental eggs. Many photographs, articles, and letters about her egg artwork are included here. The collection also holds clippings, correspondence, and photographs relating to Goetz’s father, Leon Carroll Marshall.
The Charles Goodspeed papers consist of Goodspeed’s correspondence, printed material relevant to his civic activities, his travel diaries and some memorabilia. The collection also includes materials relating to Goodspeed’s civic interest, most especially the Y.M.C.A., and some family memorabilia, including his obituaries and letters of condolence to his brother, Edgar. The collection is completed by a series of notebooks and travel diaries written by Goodspeed during the Spanish-American War, World War I, and his journeys throughout the United States.
Established in 1908, the Hyde Park Center was an independent welfare organization providing services to children and youth in the neighborhood, such as a free kindergarten and playground, clubs and activities, and job training for youth. The organization was established in response to the problem of homeless and wayward young boys in the neighborhood. It was affiliated with the Hyde Park Juvenile Protective League, a branch of the Juvenile Protective League founded by Jane Addams in 1901, and relied heavily on mostly female volunteers from the neighborhood and local churches. This collection consists of six bulletins published by the Hyde Park Center.
The collection contains various administrative, financial, membership, and publicity documents related to the Hyde Park Garden Fair Committee public services projects. Included are records such as member handbooks, minutes, financial reports, newspaper clippings, and event procedures.
The Hyde Park Historical Society was founded in 1977 to record and preserve the history of the Hyde Park-Kenwood neighborhood. Included are the Hyde Park Historical Society's administrative records, as well as its collection of historic materials. The collection contains architectural drawings, artifacts, audio material, clippings, correspondence, deeds, manuscripts, maps, memorabilia, oral histories, photographs, postcards, posters, publications, scrapbooks, and slides. These document the individuals, institutions, events, and projects that have shaped Hyde Park's urban and social landscape.
The Hyde Park Cooperative Society was founded in 1932. Based on Rochdale cooperative principles, it operated food stores in Hyde Park between 1933 and 2008. The Co-op was involved in many charitable and educational activities in the neighbourhood, including cooperative housing and other retail ventures. The Hyde Park Co-op records include administrative records, correspondence, pamphlet literature, books, photographs, audiovisual and digital material, and artifacts. The collection spans 1915-2008, with the bulk of material devoted to the period between 1934 and 2008.
This is a collection of the administrative records of the Hyde Park Youth Symphony. The records of the Symphony include administrative, budget, and fund raising material arranged by year, dating back to 1983. Also included are recordings of concerts, newspaper clippings and a scrapbook of photographs and programs.
This collection contains the records of the Hyde Park and Kenwood Interfaith Council, from 1911-1993. Included are administrative records such as minutes, correspondence, budgets and directories of membership. This collection also contains general subject files covering Council projects and affiliated institutions.
The Hyde Park-Kenwood Community Conference was formed in 1949 to "to build and maintain a stable interracial community of high standards." The collection contains correspondence, memoranda, meeting agendas and minutes, budgets and fundraising material, by-laws, directories, reports; press releases, surveys, newsletters, brochures, clippings, photographs, an audio reel, maps, posters, flyers, pamphlets, booklets, and other documents representing the activities of the Conference. Materials date between 1895 and 2011, with the bulk of the material dating from 1949 to 2000. The records primarily document the administrative functions of the Conference and its program activities related to urban renewal.
This collection is the result of a circa 2006 study of buildings in the Hyde Park-Kenwood neighborhood in Chicago, most of which were demolished as part of the mid-20th century urban renewal movement. This collection contains copies of photographs and illustrations of the Hyde Park-Kenwood area, along with supporting material used to develop the collection and research the images. The images represent individual structures, street scenes, aerial views, and panoramas showing businesses and properties that were relocated, repurposed or vacated during the urban renewal period. Research files in the collection include descriptions and notes on the projects; lists and indexes of addresses, street names, properties and businesses; and photocopies of architectural records produced by the Department of Urban Renewal.
Virginia Eckels Malone (1898-1978) was a writer and amateur historian who lived in Chicago, Washington D.C., and Long Island, New York. Her extended family included distinguished politicians, attorneys, and philanthropists. The collection consists of family papers kept by Virginia Eckels Malone. There are papers of the Eckels family, the Malone family, and the Bright, Oberly, and Schuckers families. It also includes Virginia Eckels Malone's own personal papers. Materials include correspondence, publications, ephemera, manuscripts, financial and organizational records, photographs, artworks and artifacts.
This collection contains a variety of artifacts and print ephemera. Included are political items from the 20th century, University of Chicago and Hyde Park memorabilia, a small collection of recipes and information on home remedies, and patriotic memorabilia. The cigar box in which this material was found is also included.
The South Park Improvement Association was founded in 1901 for the purpose of providing for services not rendered by the city of Chicago. This collection contains records of the South Park Improvement Association, including correspondence, service planning information, membership lists, and financial information such as budgets and invoices.
The South Side Academy was founded in 1892 and merged with other area schools to form University High School at the turn of the century. The South Side Academy records include financial as well as student records.
Ursula Batchelder Stone was a researcher, activist, and teacher who lived for more than 60 years in the Hyde Park community. This collection contains materials relating to her work as a board member of the South East Chicago Commission and to her teaching career at George Williams College. The collection also includes extensive research files compiled by Stone’s daughter, Mary Alzina Stone Dale, in preparation of a book on Stone.
The University of Chicago Service League was founded in 1895 as the University of Chicago Settlement League, a social and philanthropic organization of University women interested in supporting the work of the University of Chicago Settlement. The records of the League include constitutions and by-laws; annual reports of the League president; general correspondence; financial records; minutes; calendars of events; announcements, brochures, and programs of League benefits and special interest group activities; newsletters and yearbooks; and histories of the League and the University of Chicago Settlement.
University of Chicago. Cityspace: The Past of Urban Renewal and the Future of Community Development. Records
"Cityspace: The Past of Urban Renewal and the Future of Community Development" was a conference hosted by the University of Chicago on April 9 and 10, 2004. The conference was designed to "combine perspective of both scholars and community activists and practitioners to uncover new and exciting ways of tackling the persistent challenges of racial and economic integration, access to knowledge, affordable housing and community revitalization." The collection includes publicity materials, broadsides, schedules, and digital documentation of conference proceedings.
Midway Studios, the fine arts studios of the Art Department at the University of Chicago since the mid-1940s, was founded by the sculptor Lorado Taft in 1906. Contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, drawings, and photographs. Material relates to Taft and his associates, the 1963 exhibition, "Moment of Creation", which included clay models of some of Taft's larger works, and the renovation of Midway Studios in the 1960s. Also includes the correspondence of the Director of the Studios, Harold Haydon (1960s-1970s).
The collection contains postcards featuring the University of Chicago campus.
This collection contains the papers of Vi Fogle Uretz (1916-2007), a University of Chicago alumna, artist and community activist. The collection includes material related to the organization of the 57th Street Art Fair and the threatened closure of the university's International House. Also included are samples of Uretz's artwork, such as sketches and photographs of urban renewal in Hyde Park.