The Library Society
Welcome to the Library Society.
The mission of the Library Society is to support and strengthen the Library as the central academic resource for research, teaching, and learning at the University of Chicago. All donors to the Library become part of the Library Society, our donor stewardship and recognition program. We are happy to recognize you in the giving circle at the level of your cumulative giving throughout each fiscal year (July-June). Your gift not only enables the Library to deliver access to the materials and resources essential for world-leading scholarship, but you will also have the opportunity to enjoy events, activities, and communications exclusive to Library donors.
Library Society circles include:
- Friend ($1+)
- Reader ($100+)
- Collector ($250+)
- Conservator ($500+)
- Director’s Circle ($1,000+)
- University Librarian’s Club ($5,000+)
Library Society donors have the opportunity to engage annually with the following opportunities per gift club circle:
- Friend - Engagement opportunities include invitations to the Library Society’s digital and online events and activities as well as the bi-annual Libra newsletter.
- Reader - Engagement opportunities include those in the previous circle as well as invitations to the Library Society’s in-person events.
- Collector - Engagement opportunities include those in the previous circles. Collectors are also listed in any of the Library’s published honor rolls.
- Conservator - Engagement opportunities include those in the previous circles. Conservators also receive invitations to private views of exhibitions and are listed in any of the Library’s published honor rolls.
- Director’s Circle - Engagement opportunities include those in the previous circles. Donors in the Director’s Circle also receive invitations to tour a Library unit, getting an insider’s view of the Library or Collection. They are also listed in any of the Library’s published honor rolls.
- University Librarian’s Club - Engagement opportunities include those in the previous circles. Donors in the University Librarian’s Club also receive invitations to attend a gathering hosted by a University Librarian and additional invitations to invite friends and family to in-person events. They are also listed in any of the Library’s published honor rolls.
Join our Library Society by making a gift online. To make your gift, please select the Library as the School or Division to support, then choose the fund(s) you wish to support.
Past Virtual Library Society Events
Many of the Library’s previous digital events are recorded and posted online.
- Exploring the University of Chicago’s History through the Library’s Map Collections
- How Regenstein Library Ushered in a New Era of Scholarly Distinction: A Conversation with Dean Boyer
- At the Forefront of COVID-19 Knowledge: UChicago Medicine and the Library Work Together
Past Issues of Libra
For more information about the Library Society, please call the Library Development Office at 773.702.7695. To ensure you stay up-to-date with the latest news and information, subscribe to Library Development Communications.
Thank you for supporting the Library.