Renewing & Returning Items
Services & Policies Have Changed
Library services and policies on this page have been updated in response to the COVID-19 emergency.
See Due Dates & Loan Periods for updated information about due dates.
If you no longer need to consult materials on your account, we encourage you to return them to the Library.
Return in Person
Current UChicago students, faculty, and staff may return items in person in the outer lobby of Regenstein without a reservation, in keeping with campus policies, during Regenstein Book Return hours.
Please enter via the South Entrance for Book Pickup & Return.
Return by Mail
If you are unable to return materials in person, you may return them by mail.
The Library will currently pay the ground shipping costs from anywhere in the contiguous United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) for items that need to be returned by mail due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, please contact Circulation.
If you are returning items by mail from outside the contiguous United States, we accept items sent via U.S. Mail, Fed Ex, and UPS.
- When returning an item with a due date, take into account shipping time when selecting a shipping method.
- We strongly suggest selecting a shipping method that allows you to track and confirm package delivery.
- You should also consider insuring your package, as you are responsible for any items lost or damaged during shipping.
The University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
ATTN: Lib Returns
Chicago, IL 60637-1502
To renew items, log in to My Library Account in the Library Catalog and select Checked Out Items.
See Checked Out Items for renewal instructions.
Most Library users may renew standard loan UChicago Library items online three times. Once you reach the renewal limit, you must bring the items back to a Circulation desk to borrow them again.
- Quarterly loans may be renewed starting the Tuesday after the quarter ends.
- Annual loans may be renewed starting April 1 of the following year.
- Many Interlibrary Loan items may be renewed once, for one to three weeks.
- Reserves items, short term loan items, recalled items, and some Interlibrary Loan items are ineligible for renewal.
- Items that have been billed as lost (see Fines and Lost Items) may not be renewed; lost items must be brought back to a Circulation desk to be checked in and borrowed again.
- Faculty and Ph.D / J.S.D. students have unlimited renewals.
Why a renewal limit?
Our renewals policy is intended to encourage users to return items they are no longer actively using. This makes more books immediately available for browsing and research by other Library users and also protects the library's collection from damage and loss.