The Public Documents
In his introduction to Public Documents of the First Fourteen Congresses, 1789-1871, published in 1900, A.W. Greeley takes note of the remarkably complete collection of early scarce documents possessed by the then young University of Chicago Library:
"In the City of Washington there is no complete collection [of US Public Documents] in any one library, whether that of Congress, of the Senate, of the House of Representatives, of the State Department, of the Navy Department, or of the War Department...As to other cities, in the West, the University of Chicago Library contains perhaps the fullest set in the country."
Researchers believe Stephan A Douglas donated his large collection of government documents to the Old University of Chicago Library. The connection to UChicago may be inferred, but we have yet to uncover direct evidence linking Regenstein's near-comprehensive holdings to a Douglas gift.