E. A. Buzzell, a graduate of the last class of the old University of Chicago, donated stones from the old campus as part of Alumnae Day in 1922. These stones were part of Douglas Hall on the old University of Chicago campus. They were place in front of the "C bench" outside Cobb Hall in 1923. The plaque under the stones reads "1856 1886/ FROM/ OLD UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO." The Daily Maroon reported on October 3, 1923, on the installation of the stones, "...the keystone of the old University, symbolizing the growth of our school from that beginning, as does the Phoenix on our shield."