What are Course Reserves?
Course reserves are high-demand resources assigned for a specific course.
Finding Course Reserves For Your Class on Canvas
- Log into Canvas, select Courses, and select the appropriate course.
- Select Library Reserves from the menu on the left. This will open a page listing all of the library course reserves that your instructor has selected for the term.
- Many course reserves can be accessed online directly from this page. To access these e-reserves, click View Item to open the PDF or a link to the PDF.
- Some course reserves are held at the circulation desk of a campus library and available for short loan periods (usually 2 or 4 hours). For those items:
- Click View Availability to view the Library Catalog record.
- Note the item's location (e.g., Regenstein, 1st Floor Reserves Desk), call number and availability.
- Ask for the item at its location by call number to check it out.
- Confirm when the item is due. Reserve items have short loan periods; reserve items returned late incur an overdue fine of $3 per hour ($100 maximum).
Course Reserves FAQs
My instructor said that an assigned reading is on reserve, but it is not showing on Canvas! How do I access the item?
Most Course Reserves will be available electronically via Canvas. If you cannot find a specific reading, please contact your instructor.
How can I find out when reserve items become available?
Subscribe for e-mail alerts under "Class Details".
I'm auditing a class, but I cannot access the Canvas course site. How do I access reserve items for the course?
You must contact the instructor and ask to be added to the course site. Once you are added, you will be able to access course reserve items.
Why can't I access the reserve readings from my course from last quarter?
Due to copyright laws and guidelines, items are removed from electronic reserves after the course is completed. If you remember the reading, Ask a Librarian. We may be able to find another version of the item for you.
What are permanent reserves and how do I find them?
The Library keeps some books or other print items on reserve year-round, even when they are not requested for a course. The physical reserves policies apply to permanent reserves. Permanent reserves items are not associated to a course, and must be located by searching the Library Catalog. Crerar Library also maintains a list of Core Science Texts on Permanent Reserve, organized by subject. Eckhart Library maintains a similar list of items on CoreCore Mathematics Texts on Reserve at Eckhart.
What are the policies for physical items on reserve at the Library?
- Loan Periods: Usually 2, 4, or 24 hours, and fines accrue as soon as the item is late.
- Check-Out Limits: You may only borrow 2 reserves items at a time (except for D'Angelo Law Library reserves).
- Returns: You must return reserves items to the campus library where you borrowed them.
- No Repeat Check-Outs: You must wait 20 minutes after returning a reserves item to borrow it again, unless an identical copy is currently available.
- No Renewals: Reserves items are available on a first come, first serve basis. You cannot renew reserve items.
For Instructors and TAs
Visit Course Reserves Setup for information on placing items on reserve for a course your teaching.