Paging & Scanning Services
ALERT: Services Temporarily Suspended
Services involving physical materials are temporarily suspended while the Library's physical collections are inaccessible due to the Library buildings closure.
ALERT: Electronic Access and Suggest a Purchase
It is possible that the Library has access to an electronic version of the material you need.
The Library has created an online guide to expanded and upgraded online content. The HathiTrust collaborative collection of digitized books has also released additional online book content to UChicago users through the Emergency Temporary Access Program.
If you cannot locate an electronic version and urgently need the full text, please submit a purchase request and write “needed during closure” in the Additional Comments section.
Faculty members, if this purchase is needed for teaching during Summer 2020, please follow the instructions at Course Reserve Setup and submit your requests via Canvas.
Paging & Pickup
The Library is introducing a Paging & Pickup service while our spaces remain closed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Current University of Chicago faculty, other academic appointees, postdocs, students, and staff may request Library materials be paged via the Library Catalog, and then make an appointment to pick up available items from the outer lobby of Regenstein.
During this initial phase of on-site operations, patrons will not have access to the stacks or anywhere beyond the outer lobby.
How many items can I request for pickup? How quickly will items be available?
Patrons will be able to request 200 items per quarter through the Library Catalog, and the Library will fill five requests per patron per day.
Our goal is to make materials available within three business days.
What items are eligible for paging?
Items from the circulating collections of Crerar, Eckhart, Mansueto, and Regenstein are eligible for Paging & Pickup at Regenstein. The service will expand to other locations when possible.
Items available online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service will not be eligible for physical paging so that the Library can continue to provide online access.
How do I submit a paging request?
- Find the material you want paged in the Library Catalog.
- Under Availability in the full record, select the "Request for Pickup at Regenstein" link.
- Login with your CNetID and password.
- Select the "Submit Request" button.
You will receive an email notification when items are available, including a link to reserve a time to pick up materials from the outer lobby of Regenstein.
How do I pick up materials from Regenstein once they're available?
To enhance the safety of this process, items will be checked out to patrons by staff before pickup.
- Click on the link in your email notification to reserve a 30-minute time slot to pick up materials from the outer lobby of Regenstein.
- At your reserved time, wear a mask and observe social distancing at all times.
- Bring your UChicago Card and be prepared to display it to Library staff when picking up material.
You will only be allowed in the outer lobby of Regenstein in order to pick up requested material. No other areas of the building will be accessible.
You will not be able to return Library items when picking up books. Patrons permanently leaving the University may register for a 30-minute time slot to return Library materials.
More details about procedures for pickup will be sent to you when you reserve a pickup time.
Scan & Deliver
Scan & Deliver is a free document delivery service exclusively for University of Chicago faculty, students and staff. With Scan & Deliver, you can get scanned copies from print material owned by our library within 4 business days.
Scan & Deliver requests are limited by copyright and policy restrictions. See Scan & Deliver FAQ for details.
How to use Scan & Deliver
- Find the material you want scanned in the Library Catalog.
- When you find the correct record, scroll down and choose "Scan and Deliver" from the item you want scanned.
- Login with your CNET ID and password to complete the request form.
- Some fields of the form will be filled out automatically. Complete all required fields (chapter number, article title, inclusive pages, etc.) and provide any additional information that would help staff fill your request.
- Click Submit Request at the bottom of the request form.
You will receive an email notification with a link to the PDF when your request is available.
Video Tutorial: Scan & Deliver
If you're not able to find what you're looking for in the catalog, Ask a Librarian.
Don't forget to check online. Many articles and a large number of books are already available electronically through our subscriptions.
How do I find articles? can help you locate resources in journals, magazines, and newspapers.
How do I find ebooks? can help you with book chapters.
Not in Our Collections or Unavailable
If we don't have what you need in our collections, or it's loaned, missing, or otherwise not available, use Interlibrary Loan to get a scan of the article or chapter from another institution.
You can also place a Scan & Deliver request manually. Manual requests may require additional processing time.