Placing a Hold Request
ALERT: Hold Requests Unavailable
Hold requests are currently unavailable during the initial phase of reopening on-site services.
ALERT: Electronic Access and Suggest a Purchase
It is possible that the Library has access to an electronic version of the material you need.
The Library has created an online guide to expanded and upgraded online content. The HathiTrust collaborative collection of digitized books has also released additional online book content to UChicago users through the Emergency Temporary Access Program.
If you cannot locate an electronic version and urgently need the full text, please submit a purchase request and write “needed during closure” in the Additional Comments section.
Faculty members, if this purchase is needed for teaching during Summer 2020, please follow the instructions at Course Reserve Setup and submit your requests via Canvas.
Placing a hold request on an item will cause the item to be held for pickup for you as soon as it is available.
- In Transit items will typically be available within 2-3 days.
- In Process items will typically be available within 7-10 days.
- On Order items will typically be available for pickup within 30-60 days, though some may take longer. Items ordered from outside North America and Europe may take as long as three to six months to arrive.
- Multiple requests for the same item are fulfilled in the order in which they are received.
- You will receive an email notice when the item is available for pickup.
How to place a hold request
- Open the full record of a title in the Library Catalog.
- In the "Holdings" section, find the item you want.
- Take note of the item's status (In Transit, On Order, etc.) for an estimate of when the item is likely to become available.
- Click on the "Place Hold" link.
- You will be prompted to log into My Library Account if you've not already done so.
- Once logged in, you will be directed to the Hold Request screen.
Hold Request Screen
- On the Hold Request screen, select a pickup location from the drop down menu.
- Click on the "Submit Request" button. You will be taken back to the full record and a message will display confirming your request was successfully submitted.
- Consult the "Requested Items" screen in My Library Account to check on the status of your request.
- You will receive an email notice once an item is available for pickup at your selected pickup location. All requested items are held for pickup for 7 days.