Placing a Hold Request
ALERT: Hold Requests Temporarily Unavailable
Hold requests for physical items are temporarily unavailable while Library buildings are closed due to the coronavirus.
If you urgently need an electronic copy during the closure, please submit a purchase request and write “needed during closure” in the Additional Comments section.
See the Library's Coronavirus Alert for the latest information.
Placing a hold request on an item will cause the item to be held for pickup for you as soon as it is available.
- Regenstein Closed Stack items will typically be available within 1 business day.
- In Transit items will typically be available within 2-3 days.
- In Process items will typically be available within 7-10 days.
- On Order items will typically be available for pickup within 30-60 days, though some may take longer. Items ordered from outside North America and Europe may take as long as three to six months to arrive.
- Multiple requests for the same item are fulfilled in the order in which they are received.
- You will receive an email notice when the item is available for pickup.
How to place a hold request
- Open the full record of a title in the Library Catalog.
- In the "Holdings" section, find the item you want.
- Take note of the item's status (In Transit, On Order, etc.) for an estimate of when the item is likely to become available.
- Click on the "Place Hold" link.
- You will be prompted to log into My Library Account if you've not already done so.
- Once logged in, you will be directed to the Hold Request screen.
Hold Request Screen
- On the Hold Request screen, select a pickup location from the drop down menu.
- Click on the "Submit Request" button. You will be taken back to the full record and a message will display confirming your request was successfully submitted.
- Consult the "Requested Items" screen in My Library Account to check on the status of your request.
- You will receive an email notice once an item is available for pickup at your selected pickup location. All requested items are held for pickup for 7 days.