Outgoing Exhibit Loans
Loan Policy and Procedures
As part of its effort to support scholarship and learning, the Special Collections Research Center lends items from its collections for temporary exhibition. Materials are loaned to institutions that meet the conditions stated in the University of Chicago Library's Loan Agreement form and/or the institution's own outgoing loan agreement. Items are not loaned to individuals.
Loan requests will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria: physical condition of the item(s); facilities and program of the borrowing institution, including appropriate qualifications of staff; anticipated need of the item(s) for University of Chicago research, teaching and exhibition purposes; availability of staff to process the loan request. The Special Collections Research Center does not charge a fee or for staff time associated with lending materials; loan requests must be balanced with other priorities.
An authorized representative of the prospective borrowing institution must submit a letter of request six months in advance of the anticipated shipping date. A facilities report should accompany the request letter.
The request letter should include the following information:
- Title and dates of the exhibition
- Inclusive dates of proposed loan
- Name(s) and affiliation of exhibition curator(s)
- Detailed information about the item(s) to be borrowed: full citation and call number for printed materials; collection name, box and folder number for archival and manuscript materials
- Indication of plans for a published catalog and/or Web version of the exhibition; indication of any photography or scanning needs
- Statement of willingness to conform to the conditions of loan set by the lender
Send exhibition loan requests to:
Special Collections Research Center
University of Chicago Library
1100 East 57th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org