Mission and Staff
The Hanna Holborn Gray Special Collections Research Center is open by appointment only to current University of Chicago faculty, students, and staff. Information about how to request appointments can be found on our Reading Room Access page.
Special Collections staff members may be reached by using our Contact Form.
The Hanna Holborn Gray Special Collections Research Center is the principal repository for and steward of the University of Chicago Library's rare books, manuscripts, and University Archives. Its mission is to provide primary sources to stimulate, enrich, and support research, teaching, learning, and administration at the University of Chicago. Special Collections makes these resources available to a broad constituency as part of the University's engagement with the larger community of scholars and independent researchers. In pursuit of its mission, Special Collections:
- Provides unique opportunities for teaching and learning
- Provides responsive, personable, and expert public service
- Builds distinctive and unique collections
- Facilitates discovery through online access to information about all Special Collections holdings
- Promotes access to and use of Special Collections by collaborating with the Library, University, and Chicago-area special collections communities
- Collaborates with other Library units to promote preservation of the holdings of Special Collections
The Hanna Holborn Gray Special Collections Research Center public services staff are glad to answer inquiries about hours, services, and access to the collections. For general information about Special Collections, please contact the public services staff at 773-702-8705. Questions that require consulting the collections cannot be answered by telephone.
Please submit your specific questions that require consulting the collections in writing using the Special Collections reference service form. Priority for responding to these inquiries is given to students, faculty, and staff of the University of Chicago, whose questions are usually answered within 1-2 days. Questions from those outside the University of Chicago are handled as staff time permits; written responses are normally provided within 3-4 weeks.
- Christine Colburn — Supervisor, SCRC Reader Services
- Michael Fealey — SCRC Collections Management Coordinator
- Kathleen Feeney — Head of Archives Processing and Digital Access
- Elizabeth Frengel — Curator of Rare Books
- Patti Gibbons — SCRC Head of Collection Management
- Ashley Gosselar — Processing Archivist
- Chelsea Kaufman — Library Exhibition Designer
- Andrew Thompson — Archives & Manuscripts Accessions Supervisor
- Catherine Uecker — Head of Research and Instruction